Boat of the Year

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Boat of the Year
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 12:31:12 EDT
(See the "what's new" section of the home page for the pictures)

Boat of the Year competition.
As most of you know by now, we were invited to enter Sailing Worldâs Boat  Of
The Year competition  (be sure to  pick up a copy of Sailing World -- the
Swift Solo is the featured picture for  the story).  What a great adventure  it
was with over 7700 miles traveled and 3 weeks of âSuburbanâ living (Chevy
Suburban)
The trip began here at the base of Mount Rainier pulling my 20 foot van
trailer, moved on to Frankfort Michigan and VMGâs facility where I picked up
USA
038 and then on to Annapolis for the competition.   I decided to take  USA 002
with me  so that we could exactly duplicate every detail on the never
launched  USA 038.  The idea was to get the new boat to  Annapolis, complete
rigging
it, and  then sail it for a couple of days for âshake downâ before turning
it
over to the  judges.
The trip to Michigan was  easy with nice weather and the opportunity to stop
and do some rides on my  mountain bike along the way.  I  arrived to find, as
always, that Pat and Anita at VMG had done a fantastic job  of preparing the
boat and the finish was 1st class (Boat of the Year  quality).  Pat and I spent
the day  rigging the new mast while Anita continued work on  USA 013--my new
boat.  We felt no guilt since Anita  was at the fun, long boarding, stage of
fairing 013 while we had the difficult  job of pop riveting parts to a mast
and splicing rope (honest Anita, youâd hate  itâkeep sanding).  If you look
at
the picture you can see Anitaâs fairing job on the bottom of 038.
We loaded 038 that evening and after a long night and day, I arrived in
Annapolis.  Greg and Christian met me at the Navy  Stadium parking lot where we
spent a long day rigging.  It was really good to finally meet  Christian and
they both provided a lot of much needed help.  Christian had to leave that
evening so  the next morning Greg and I moved the boat to the âdesignatedâ
location.  Upon arrival, we discovered that this  was a great place to launch
60 foot
yachts but that it had no launching or  sailing facilities for small boats.
Greg helped me for another day preparing the  boat and looking for an
appropriate sailing location before he had to go back to  work.
The Annapolis  Sailing  School has a great location and  sailing facility
with a sandy beach at the junction of the channel we were on  and the
Chesapeake--only a few miles  down the road.  The next day I  located their
offices, told
them about the BOTY competition and tried to get  permission to sail off of
their nearly deserted beach for a day or two.  Late that evening I received
their  decision---Permission deniedââweâre too busyâ.  Since this
process took
a large part of  the day and the next day was the scheduled âviewing dayâ
for
the competition, I  realized the probability that this boat was going to see
water for the first  time when the judges showed up and towed it to an
appropriate location for  sailingânot a great strategy for winning the
competition.
With this in mind, I spent the next day  focused on exactly duplicating every
line length and detail of  USA 002.  This boat would have to be perfect,
right off.
With the weather not cooperating, both the viewing and the sailing were
postponed until Thursday.
Thursday morning the Judges arrived in a large power launch with two 150  hp
outboards.  We launched 038 over  the 6 foot bulkhead and they towed me for a
couple of miles to the Severn  Sailing Association where we were warmly
greeted.  Clearly, this is the place where we  should have been all along.  In
view
of the miscommunication that sent me to the Yacht Yard, the judges agreed
that I  should get a chance to sail the boat for a short while to make sure
everything  was working OK.  After a short sail  to weather on the trapeze I
bore
off and raised the kite.  This boat felt perfect and everything  was working
well (the centerboard needed to be tied down because we had  miscalculated the
packing needed around the top cassette block).  After asking me to capsize and
right the  Swift, it was their turn.  Chuck  Allen traded places with me.
Chuck  is a past collegiate âSailor of the Yearâ and it showed.  After a
half
hour in the boat he was  really getting the hang of it.  Both  of my major
fears
were over.  The  boat worked perfectly and Chuck was not only sailing the
boat well, but having  way too much fun.  After a long sail  from the wire with
the kite up, the other judges reminded Chuck of their other  BOTY obligations
and I sailed the boat back to the Severn Sailing  Association.  It was a
satisfying  sail backâknowing we had done our very best in a rather difficult
situation.
Now we get to wait and see how we did.  Overall, it was a great trip.
Special thanks to Greg and Christian for  helping me get it together.

Also, it needs to be said that Pat and Anita will be  seriously missed by the
class.  They  are 1st class both as craftsmen and as friends to all of us who
have  had the pleasure of doing business with them.  I also want to thank
John at VMG for his  integrity and pioneering spirit.  They clearly blazed the
trail for others to follow.  Roger (Aquilo Boats) is filling the void  and will
be making parts for the class.  Since Roger is actually sailing Swifts, we can
be assured of high quality  products.
With so many Swifts hitting the water now and in the next  several months,
Our future is bright.  It canât hurt that Iâll soon have three boats to
take
around the country  to help get other skiff sailors addicted.  Weâll have the
first active fleet of week night Swift Solo racing in  Seattle by the end of
this coming  summer (unless someone beats us somewhere else).  There is little
doubt that with Gregâs  energy and the number of Swifts being built in the
Northeast that we should see  a fleet around NYC fairly soon as well.  Weâll
be
spending a lot of energy this summer promoting the boat and  helping form other
fleets as well.  It will be a sight to see 15 or more Swift Solos sailing at
our  Regatta/Clinic in Florida.
Jane and I will be reporting on what we find when we  travel to evaluate
sites in  Florida before Christmas.  Stay tuned